terms

History of Post 1066

The Post received its charter in 1934 at a ceremony held in the TEEPE, a Community hall, located at the Southwest corner of Sunrise Highway and Park Boulevard in Massapequa Park.

Permission from the Massapequa School Board was granted to the Post to hold their meetings, in the only school in Massapequa located between Massapequa Avenue and Hicksville Road, now known as Fairfield Elementary School.

The meetings were conducted by Wray Williamson, the Post’s first Commander. Total membership was less than 50, but it was a start with members interested in support of veterans and community service. By the late 1930′s permission was granted to the Post to meet in a small unused meeting hall located on Alhambra Road about 200 yards south of Merrick Road in Massapequa.

The use of a former real estate office located on the Northeast corner of Brooklyn Avenue and Broadway was given to the Post for its meetings and community functions. During WWII, an Honor Roll was erected at the corner listing the names of Massapequa residents serving in the military.

At the end of WWII, membership increased sharply and the Post took an active role in community activities. Parades were conducted on Armistice Day, now known as Veterans Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and other holidays. Other community activities included “Donkey Baseball”, an activity that attracted many spectators and provided great fun to the Post members. Friday evenings gave the youth of the community the opportunity to enjoy weekly teenage dances. Bazaars and carnivals were conducted and attended by the community residents for their enjoyment.

In the early 60′s the property at the corner of Broadway and Brooklyn Avenue was sold and the proceeds from the sales were used to construct the new building east of the former location on Brooklyn Avenue, now known as Veterans Boulevard.

Through the years the Post has experienced growth in membership which presently is in excess of 600 providing our ability to claim the honor of being the largest American Legion Post in Nassau County. The Post has earned recognition by the County for its Legion programs and for the election of 5 of its members to the position of Nassau County Commander.

With the continued support of our membership, Massapequa American Legion Post 1066 will continue to advance the support of veterans and to promote community activities.

This history is a work in progress and will be updated periodically.

trademarks